Saturday, March 29, 2008

Manifesto

Manifesto

· My art is me, I am my art.
· My art needs to be made.
· My art is for myself first and then for others.
· My art is an expression of who I am, where I live, what I see, what I collect, what I focus on.
· My art comes from my mind, my hand and my soul.
· I do not apologise for my art.
· Like me, my art is both simple and complex, easy and difficult, straightforward and obscure.
· My camera is a pencil, my photographs are pages from my notepad.
· I too am a camera, I look, I select, I compose, I focus, I frame, I shoot, I take, I record, I steal tiny moments in time and keep them for myself. By photographing them (as when drawing them, or painting or printing them) these moments become mine.
· I need my art - but my art needs me - I am its mother and its father.
· My camera, my pencil, my pen, my brush and my printmaking are all extensions of me. They are my tools but they are extensions of who I am. They are also explanations of who I am and what I want to say.
· The purpose of my art is to select.
· The purpose of my art is to isolate.
· The purpose of my art is to segregate.
· The purpose of my art is to illustrate
· My art is about details and elements.
· My art is systematic – it is often rule bound – but I make the rules.
· The purpose of my art is often to show the banal, the everyday, the humdrum - and just by showing it - to draw attention to its value, its validity and its overlooked beauty.
· The purpose of my art is to take meaning and give meaning.
· The purpose of my art may or may not be to explain itself.
· The purpose of my art is to import images and to export them.
· The purpose of my art is to show and to exhibit.
· The purpose of my art is to be seen.
· The purpose of my art is to provoke.
· The purpose of my work is to invite enquiry, examination, attention, criticism and possibly praise.

No comments: